I think we can all agree that we never would’ve guessed what the year 2020 had in store for us. We had never imagined that words like “quarantine”, “social distancing”, and “shelter in place” would become commonplace. No one anticipated that in March of 2020, there would be a global pandemic.
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.
The truth is that uncertainty is something we deal with every day. We just never think about it. We assume that tomorrow will probably be just another day. But we never truly know what the next day will bring. Someone close to us could pass away, we could lose a job or receive a scary diagnosis, some terrible tragedy could happen…we don’t know.
But we choose not to focus on this. We choose instead to believe that we have some knowledge of what tomorrow will bring. This false sense of certainty provides the illusion that we’re in control.
When something like a global pandemic happens, we suddenly come face to face with a reality that’s always been present: we are not in control. For those of us who are Type A control freaks, this is something we’d prefer not to admit.
I’ve found that being unwilling to accept uncertainty only leads to anxiety, stress, and frustration. Embracing uncertainty, on the other hand, can bring so much peace.
Here are 20 inspiring quotes on embracing uncertainty!
- “If uncertainty is unacceptable to you, it turns into fear. If it is perfectly acceptable, it turns into increased aliveness, alertness, and creativity.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “It’s not a terrible thing that we feel fear when faced with the unknown. It is part of being alive, something we all share.” – Pema Chodron
- “Faith means living with uncertainty – feeling your way through life, letting your heart guide you like a lantern in the dark. – Dan Millman
- “Sometimes when you’re overwhelmed by a situation – when you’re in the darkest of darkness – that’s when your priorities are reordered.” – Phoebe Snow
- “Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it.” – Kahlil Gibran
- “Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be.” – Wayne W. Dyer
- “When I argue with reality, I lose, but only 100% of the time.” – Byron Katie
- “The quality of your life is in direct proportion to the amount of uncertainty you can comfortably deal with.” – Tony Robbins
- “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Albus Dumbledore (from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling)
- “Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security.” – John Allen Paulos
- “It was always meant to happen that way. How do I know? Because it did.” – Brooke Castillo
- “It was sunsets that taught me that beauty sometimes only lasts for a couple of moments, and it was sunrises that showed me that all it takes is patience to experience it all over again.” – A. J. Lawless
- “I can do hard things.” – Brooke Castillo
- “If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Looking deeper, we could say that the real cause of suffering is not being able to tolerate uncertainty—and thinking that it’s perfectly sane, perfectly normal, to deny the fundamental groundlessness of being human.” – Pema Chödrön
- “Choosing to be curious is choosing to be vulnerable because it requires us to surrender to uncertainty. It wasn’t always a choice; we were born curious. But over time, we learn that curiosity, like vulnerability, can lead to hurt. As a result, we turn to self-protecting – choosing certainty over curiosity, armor over vulnerability, and knowing over learning.” – Brené Brown
- “The worst thing that can happen is a negative emotion, and there’s no emotion I can’t face…The strongest people are those who aren’t afraid of their own emotions.” -Brooke Castillo
- “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” – Matthew 6:26
- “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give as the world gives to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” – John 14:27
- “For we walk by faith, not by sight.” – 2 Corinthians 5:7
As I was compiling this list, I noticed that there are a few common themes that kept popping up. So here’s another list for you! ;)
- Uncertainty is an inevitable, normal part of the human experience.
- Arguing with reality is pointless.
- Acceptance leads to peace.
- Faith means understanding that God is the one in control.
What tips do you have for embracing uncertainty?
Other posts you might like:
How to Stop Worrying About Your Health
How to Stop Worrying About Money and Start Living
Facing Uncertainty in Strange Times
4 Things You Need to Stop Trying to Control (if You Want to Be Happy)
The Key to Overcoming Anxiety
Check out Online Therapy to receive cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) from a trained therapist – from the comfort of your own home – for just $37 per month.
One silver lining about the current pandemic situation is that many of us plenty of extra time on our hands – time we could put to good use by investing in our mental health.
One reviewer of Online Therapy said: “Wouldn’t be here on this website if it weren’t for this global pandemic. It’s also a blessing. I came across wooden dice. I wrote down all the emotional traps I get into and all the key things I need to do to live a happier life.
A global pandemic happens once in a century, maybe it was the time for me to live more fully for myself and for those who need me even though I think I’m not needed. Thx again.”
Get started with Online Therapy today. Stop worrying and start living!